How to Shop for a Rain Jacket:
7 Important Questions to Consider
BY RACHEL CAVANAUGH
To help give you a better idea of what to look for, we’ve put together a list of helpful questions to ask yourself before you start shopping.
1. What is the difference between a rain jacket and a rain shell?
|Rain Jackets||- All-in-one design|
- Extra features
- Less room for layering
|Rain Shells||- More lightweight|
- More compact
- More versatile layering options
|- No insulation|
- Fewer features
2. What are the primary activities I’ll use the rain jacket for?
3. How waterproof is the raincoat?
4. What’s the ventilation like?
- Air vents: These panels, some of which double as pockets, are made from mesh or other fabric that allows air to circulate better while still maintaining water-resistance through discrete placement.
- Pit zips: These zippers are located in the armpits, giving you the opportunity to regulate your body temperature and cool off when needed.
- Breathable material: On top of special features, make sure the fabric itself offers some degree of aeration so that when you perspire, you don’t wind up trapping moisture next to your skin.