Columbia Sportswear PR
Columbia Sportswear Investor Relations & Corporate Communications
Columbia Sportswear Launches New Omni-Heat™ Warmth Technology with Global Marketing Campaign
PORTLAND, OR – September 22, 2010 -- Columbia Sportswear Company (NASDAQ: COLM), a leading innovator in the global active outdoor apparel, footwear, accessories and equipment markets, announced today that it will celebrate the public availability of its new Omni-Heat technologies with the launch of the largest and most integrated global marketing campaign in the company’s history.
Omni-Heat delivers industry-leading warmth and superior regulation of body temperature without added bulk. The innovative reflective technology keeps people 20% warmer than ordinary liners while allowing excess heat and moisture vapor to escape, making Omni-Heat perfect for almost any outdoor activity. “Omni-Heat’s distinctive reflective silver-dot lining is the most innovative warmth solution to hit the outdoor industry in decades and allows consumers to see the technology as well as feel it,” said Sue Parham, Vice President of Global Apparel. “In addition, the space between the dots allows heat and moisture vapor to escape through the breathable, moisture-wicking liner so the wearer doesn’t overheat.”
At the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, members of the Canadian Freestyle Ski Team were equipped with custom Columbia Omni-Heat gear that helped them stay warm and limber in successful pursuit of the first Canadian Olympic gold medal ever won on home soil. Now, the technology is available to consumers around the world in nearly 100 styles of apparel, footwear and accessories.
To share the benefit of this groundbreaking advance in the world of outdoor apparel, Columbia created a global ad campaign as innovative as Omni-Heat itself. The marketing launch features print, online, web broadcast, social media and event marketing that introduces Omni-Heat to the public in an interactive and experiential way.
“We’re excited about the breadth and innovation of the Omni-Heat campaign,” said Dan Hanson, Vice President of Marketing at Columbia Sportswear. “In coordination with our retail partners around the world, we will be telling the Omni-Heat story through a vast array of media channels and creative executions that will make it nearly impossible for any consumer to miss the significance of this innovative warmth technology.”
Key elements of the marketing campaign include:
- A flash-based microsite, located at www.columbia.com/omni-heat offers a closer look at the science behind the technology and features videos of Omni-Heat technology in action, with commentary and reviews by professional skiers from around the globe.
- Six thirty-second television spots feature people testing Omni-Heat technology in ridiculous and brutally cold situations, including a boxer-clad man being blasted by snowballs. The spots will broadcast internationally and are available for viewing on the microsite as well as the Columbia YouTube channel, at www.youtube.com/columbiasportswear . In addition, they’ll run extensively online on networks such as Hulu, NBC and CBS.
- A print campaign featuring Omni-Heat technology and models experiencing the cold first-hand. The campaign will be supported in over 14 major print publications and includes several multi-page high impact executions in both traditional outdoor-oriented magazines and broader reaching technology and sports publications.
- A mobile media effort in partnership with AdMob and NBC to deliver targeted messaging that will drive mobile users to the microsite.
- Omni-Heat technology training clinics for key retail associates in the U.S.
- A social media program called “Ice Pics” in which Columbia will ask its U.S. Facebook fan base to send photos of themselves using an Omni-Heat product in an extreme setting. The program will feature weekly prizes including $50 and $100 gift certificates to encourage consumers to get outside and put the products through the paces.
- A national Freezer Tour to bring the technology directly into the hands of U.S. outdoor enthusiasts everywhere. The tour kicked off earlier this year at the ESPN X Games in Los Angeles in July and will run through the end of November with stops planned across the country. During the Freezer Tour, consumers are invited to test Omni-Heat products while singing karaoke in The Coldfessional - a large freezer that transports them to the coldest places on earth. Each participant will leave with a hot giveaway and a cool memory, including a video of their singing performance. For a full Omni-Heat Freezer Tour schedule, please visit http://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/default/omniheat-Start#/?section=OmniHeat
Polar Bear Spread
About Columbia Sportswear Company
Columbia Sportswear Company is a global leader in the design, sourcing, marketing and distribution of active outdoor apparel, footwear, accessories and equipment. Founded in 1938 in Portland, Oregon, Columbia products are sold in more than 100 countries and have earned an international reputation for innovation, quality and performance. Columbia products feature innovative technologies and designs that protect outdoor enthusiasts from the elements, increase comfort, and make outdoor activities more enjoyable. In addition to the Columbia brand, Columbia Sportswear Company also owns outdoor brands Mountain Hardwear®, Sorel®, Montrail®, and Pacific Trail®. To learn more, please visit the company's websites at www.columbia.com , www.mountainhardwear.com, www.sorel.com, and www.montrail.com.